A land of achievements, the Montpellier Méditerranée Métropole area has earned international recognition in the health field, joining teaching, research, innovation, and quality of life throughout its history.
Montpellier Health Capital: a unifying projectHealth-related activities are a major asset for the Montpellier Méditerranée Métropole area’s attractiveness and dynamics as an excellence sector. Innovation and research stakeholders unite under the “Montpellier France Health Hub” banner, whose goal is to envision the future of medicine.
An initiative of Montpellier Méditerranée Métropole, the project seeks to mobilize the health ecosystem, including education and training, research and care, companies, and public authorities, to develop major projects, stimulate development in the health sector, encourage company growth, and promote the Montpellier metropolitan area internationally.
Montpellier France Health Hub is a project designed as a collective effort, bringing together stakeholders from different horizons and helping local players take action. By bringing together a variety of interested parties, creating new bridges, and motivating participants to focus on a common goal, new initiatives will emerge to the benefit of the territory as a whole.
Montpellier Métropole commits to the Metropolitan Innovation PactA sign of its commitment to support progress for health, Montpellier is the only metropolis in France that has signed a Metropolitan Innovation Pact with French authorities focusing on health. With this pact signed on January 5, 2017, France contributes an endowment of 8.3 million euros and Montpellier Métropole contributes 3.59 million euros. Credits were attributed partially to six ambitious projects in the health field:
- The “Cyborg” bio-incubator – (led by Montpellier CHU) for regenerative medicine and innovative therapies.
- REDSAIM – Montpellier network for developing solutions against infectious agents (REseau de Développement des Solutions contre les Agents Infectieux de Montpellier), led by University of Montpellier.
- Sun-Fair – (led by the Montpellier Cancer Institute), implementation of an accelerator with an integrated MRI unit for therapeutic testing.
- Therapeutic innovation for interventional radiology – (led by Montpellier CHU).
- Health / Independent Living Cluster – Project to create a European R&D Center focusing on technical and technological assistance to help handicapped people live independently.